Friday, August 19, 2016

Par for the course

I get WIFI internet for free. I called the only provider for this area because I would like to pay for guaranteed service. They require a credit card. I only use prepaid visa on the net. Had I not told them it was prepaid we probably wouldn't have had an issue. The representative asked her boss who said no.

If I try to use another national provider they just connect me with Frontier, our local monopoly.

I'm wondering if the Americans with disabilities act would have any usefulness. I'm going to talk to a lawyer (who happens to be related to both my partner and the founding family of this town. This makes him a good partner to have.)

The kicker is my free WIFI is provided by this monopoly!

Also there could be damages because they are preventing me from implementing my product.

This should be fun.

None of this prevents me from continuing to write my code. I just need others to test. Working blind isn't that big a deal for me. I used to edit out of state code without a wysiwyg editor (ever code dBase using edlin and a 300 baud modem?)

I also worked for a short time with a literally blind Shearson Lehman BAL programmer in one of the twin towers before they came down in NYC. I could only do my edlin trick because I'd memorized 10,000 lines of dBase code. I really don't know how that blind programmer did it with BAL other than he used a line editor with text to speech software. I never knew how many lines he was working with but my impression was... a lot.

No comments: