Monday, June 27, 2016

Here's what I'm up to

I don't have the tools I want, but I'm going to try to use the tools I can.

I bought a compiler from France that is just too slow regarding SQL that it was unusable. So I'm going to try something different. Euphoria can be translated to C then compiled. The code bloat is ridiculous, but I can deal with that. While I'd prefer to use a central SQL database I can distribute data among several local databases (for a mega-multi-user game I've been thinking about since the 70s. Interestingly, a non client/server architecture was my original concept.)

I'm using Notetab as my file editor (an IDE would be nice but no good one exists. I just don't like the code they produce.)

In time I may write my own IDE that will produce an exe file directly (skipping C entirely.) It's really the only way I will get the development environment I want. I've got nothing but time.

Further down the road I would like to simplify Euphoria with objects (not what euphoria calls objects) dot notation and intellisense and scoping rules that make sense to me (I used to manage a project with over a million line of VB6 code by myself. I can't do that with the tools I have today.)

The stupid fluff that coders think is important are nothing compared to the ability to drill down to a routine's definition that I had in VB. Even useful debugging tools are less than essential (nice to have, but other debugging methods work just as well.)

I don't know how far I'll get, but I've got a goal now at least. My code should work for both windows and linux if I do it right.

No comments: