Friday, February 15, 2013

I asked, part three

Trents says,
I'm also more than a little concerned with Ken's acceptance that colonizing Mars will cost billions. I don't doubt that it will - actually, I expect his estimates are low. The concern comes from the fatalistic implication that there's nothing we can do to get it started.
While my reference mission says 48 for 4.8b, it also shows how it could be done for as one time cost of just $300m if you read through it. (Trent, please be kind on my hand waiving regarding fuel costs.)

However, Trent is right about not being fatalistic and doing things that can be done rather than sitting on thumbs waiting for some billionaire to decide to get things started. What he may not realize is that I am doing just that by sucking him and others into my insanity.

It may be that I've done what I can on the level of the settlement charter and reference mission. It may be I need to actually make some mars analog dirt and start making things. I wonder if you can buy mars analog dirt or do you have to make it?

Update: Let's see. I googled the first item on the list and found Na2O can be purchased for $240 per metric ton with a minimum of 20 mt. This may take a while. Is a spectral analog good enough?

Part One, Part Two.

No comments: