He brings up many subjects, providing me an opportunity to respond to just this one post with a number of my own. Which I will do over the next few days.
What I like best about Trent's writing is that it often includes nuggets of genius and this post is no exception with: ...it doesn't fit into anyone's mental model of How People Live.
Which is why this blog exists. I've had a number of blogs before this, but I started this one after my own mental model was adjusted to realize mars colonization isn't something for the future:
- It's doable now...
- Using technology already completed or soon to be.
- The cost is high but the real return is much higher (Profits for everybody! from top to bottom.)
- The colonists can go for free and arrive rich with few limits.
- Human's are in desperate need of this mental model adjustment...
- Because many, including the brightest, have a can't do attitude.
- People think things come from stores.
- Martians will have to adjust their mental attitude to survive, providing an example for the rest of humanity.
- Human's need liberty and ownership to thrive where ever they are.
- Every other colonization plan I've seen makes the crew slaves of some sort depending on earth to keep them alive. That's suicide.
- It doesn't have to be. It shouldn't be. It requires a new mental model.