Sunday, February 24, 2013

15 barriers to space settlement

The N.S.S. has a document titled 15 barriers to space settlement. They are not.

1) Government involvement is not required or desired.
2) Incentives for private capital investment exist, but require a non slave mentality.
3) Affordability is a function not just of cost but of return. It's affordable now.
4) Lack of sovereignty is a good thing. Free you mind.
5) Self insure from a country that allows it.
6) Launch from a country that isn't a nanny state.
7) The public will become interested when they have a reason to be interested.
8) Common heritage of mankind is marxist bullshit, to be completely ignored.
9) Informed consent is all you need.
10) Not required. 2 mt of supplies per person will get you to mars.
11) See item one.
12) SpaceX has demonstrated engine out performance. Otherwise see item nine.
13) Colonist are beyond jurisdiction. See item four.
14) Non Sequitur, other than as a justification for a humanity backup.
15) Colonists will demonstrate ISRU immediately after landing.

None of these barriers actually is. The biggest barrier is the psychological slave mentality. Fortunately, not everybody has that slave mentality.

Update:

5) Liability costs make things more difficult but is not a show stopper.
6) Why create a problem when we don't know it will exist?

2 comments:

john hare said...

And then at the bottom I notice that this one was written in 2002 for use in 2003. I wonder what their up to date barriers are thought to be. I agree that depending on the government is bad. I don't think a policy of flipping them the bird is going to advance your goals. One reason I backed off on technical posting was the ITAR problem. As an American citizen, the state department might come after you even if you are designing, building , and launching from Southern Muckistan.

ken_anthony said...

If I were Elon, I'd be sucking up to them like Elon. Being independent let's me say what I really think.

Would you have to take designing to Muckistan? (I hear the beaches are nice.)

I just think the state is too much involved in peoples lives and it is worth the fight.